Thursday, July 7, 2011

The clouds are beginning to break!

A few days after Maui's vet visit we were told the final verdict, a metal plate would need to be surgical placed in her right shoulder. Without this surgery, Maui would not be able to walk. Being that she is not even two, the vet said this would be the best to get her back to her old self again.

Maui is truly loved. She received care packages. My kids wrote her get well cards. Brittany's kids even made her a get well poster.


Maui's care package from the Mueller's.


Maui's care package from the Strohecker's. Mrs. Strohecker personally delivered this herself at my school. I almost burst into tears from gratitude. So many bad things had been happening that to have someone personally bring you something brought me great joy.


Maui's was doing okay, she quickly learned how to walk around on three legs.

Right before her surgery Brian's mom got Brian a plane ticket to Dallas. I guess we both sounded miserable. Having him around was wonderful. We got so much done...

Brian took out our dead tree. Thank you HOA for pointing it to me!



We planted a lovely new tree which hopefully won't die. And after a long day's work, we of course had to venture out to Dallas' newest finest eating establishment, oh yes, In-Out Burger! Mmmmm!

Monday, May 16th, the day of Maui's surgery, it also happened to be the day my BFF, Arseli was coming back to the states.  I had taken the day off, family illness. I dropped of Maui early in the morning. She was not happy that I was leaving her at the vet.  I then drove 6 hours, yes, you read correctly...6 HOURS to Kansas to pick up Arseli.  Man, I sure am a great friend.  The Air Force being the Air Force decided to take their time in letting her off of the cargo plane so I wasn't going to be able to pick up Maui.  My work spouse, Ransom was able to help me out and pick her up.  Due to wonderful technology I was able to be put on speaker phone so the vet could let me know what I needed to do for Maui for a speedy recovery.

As we were driving and thinking to myself, because my wonderful co-pilot Arseli crashed as soon as we hit the road, I received a text from Ransom showing me how Maui was looking.  Arseli awoke and looked at it first.  Arseli said, "Now don't freak out, it's only temporary..."


"Ahhh!"   My heart sunk, poor Maui looked HORRIBLE!! She looked so sad and helpless.  I tried to get back home as fast as possible.  Luckily,  our house wasn't too far from Oklahoma.  We finally made it home.  My poor puppy was in so much pain.  Plus, we had to be very careful with her and let her jump or even walk around.  The vet basically said she was on "bed rest" for the next 4 weeks.  Full recovery time was 6-8 weeks!!  Well, needless to say I did not return to work the next day.  I just couldn't leave Maui all my herself. She had one heck of a battle wound.

 I don't normally dress her up in dresses, but that scar looked awful, so I ended up buying a lovely summer dress.

Maui spent her last few weeks in Dallas inside the house being loved and spoiled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment